Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Let's Get Personal: Again

You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.
Psalm 71:20

Again. Again is the stressed word and concept in this verse. Why? For the author, David, had seen evidence of God's saving hand before, which also means that David had seen times of trouble before that would warrant a saving hand. He even goes as far to say that God had made him see those times of hardship. But without those times of hardship, how could David have seen the faithfulness of God's deliverance? How could he develop a trust in the character of God? A trust that is vital when the darkest of dark hours hit.

Nevertheless, the point of this verse is again and the subjects it addresses:revive and bring up. 

I too have seen God's faithfulness in reviving and bringing up. Once and for all through Jesus Christ, but also in times of uncertainty, pain and calamity. Why should I not expect to be revived again?

God, give me the lungs to sing songs of praise, for hope is not fleeting when it is in you. And even though I wait for your hand to bring me up, I rejoice in the truth you bring to this word: again.

1 comment: