Friday, May 14, 2010

Morning


Made Perfect.
Hebrew xii 23

Recollect that there are two kinds of perfection which the Christian needs- the perfection of justification in the person of Jesus, and the perfection of sanctification wrought in him by the Holy Spirit. At present, corruption yet remains even in the breasts of the regenerate... but I rejoice to know that the day is coming when God... shall present my soul, not only perfect in Christ, but perfect through the Spirit...

Can it be true that this spirit, which often cries, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this sin and death?" Oh, happy hour! may it hastened!

When I cross the Jordan, the work of sanctification will be finished; but not till that moment,... (then) I shall be able to say, in a double sense, "I am clean," through Jesus' blood, and through the Spirt's work.  

Yet let not the hope of perfection hereafter make us content with imperfection now. If it does this, our hope cannot be genuine; for a good hope is a purifying thing, even now... Let us pray to "be filled with the Spirit," that we may bring forth increasingly the fruits of righteousness.
-C.H. Spurgeon 

No comments:

Post a Comment